Lubricants since 1936 – ADDINOL Lube Oil GmbH
For over 80 years, ADDINOL has been developing high-performance lubricants in Germany. Find out more about our history.
New tank system for more volume
Between April 2019 and October 2019 a total of 12 tanks with a volume of 50 m³ each and 8 blending tanks with a volume of 100 m³ each were built. With the extension of the tank system the increased demand for ADDINOL products worldwide is taken into account.
This makes it possible to store larger quantities of raw materials such as base oils and additives. At the same time, the mixing and storage of high-volume products based on simple to medium complexity of the formulation is simplified. This relieves the mixers in production and increases the tonnage per mixture.
Major changes on our 80th anniversary
The occasion of the company's 80th birthday sees the beginning of the foundation work for the extension of the central administration building at the company's head office in Leuna. Besides new office facilities with modern workspaces, additional meeting rooms and a separate conference floor are being created in the extension. This means that our application technology engineers can meet the continually increasing demand for training courses.
The construction measures in production bring, amongst other things, a fully-automatic filling system for small ADDINOL cans and capacities for the rapidly growing field of special lubricants.
Even the small cans of the ADDINOL brand appear in a new mantle on the occasion of the 80th birthday of the company. The modern shape and shining label of the 1-litre, 4-litre and 5-litre cans now have a fresh design with an unmistakable, lively coloured look.
On course for success – around the world!
The global sales network is growing continuously, thanks to the experienced lubricant experts. In India, ADDINOL Lube Oil India Pvt. Ltd. is being founded. In other countries, ADDINOL can already look back at a long history of success. ADDINOL Russia is celebrating its tenth anniversary.
Around the world, more than 90 sales partners represent the ADDINOL brand.
It's ADDINOL's birthday!
On 26th October 1936, the former Mineralölwerk Lützkendorf was founded near the chemicals town of Leuna.
2005 - 2009
ADDINOL expands yet further
Thanks to the increasing demand for quality lubricants "Made in Germany", capacities are being expanded, both in production and in the logistics' centre. 2007 sees the official opening of the production facilities and the new logistics centre. In 2009, additional tank stores for finished products and new production lines are added.
On course for global expansion
The quality of the high-performance lubricants from Leuna speaks volumes: ADDINOL is represented by sales partners on all the continents.
ADDINOL in Leuna
In the chemicals industry town of Leuna, just a few kilometres from the previous location in Krumpa Lützkendorf, foundation work commences for the new company location. The company moves in just one year later.
1996 - 1998
Entry in the commercial register
ADDINOL Lube Oil GmbH is entered in the commercial register on the 04.12.1996. On 09.03.1998 the description is completed.
1989 - 1990
ADDINOL becomes a company name
Even in 1989, reunification year, the total production of the Mineralölwerk Lützkendorf is 800,000 t of mineral oil products. Of these, 304,000 t are lubricants.
ADDINOL Mineralöl GmbH Lützkendorf is founded in 1990. This means the name of one of the most successful engine oils of the former mineral oil factory becomes the company name. ADDINOL "Additive in Oil" was one of the best-known brands of the former GDR.
1974 - 1976
New areas of business are added
A proprietary additive production facility is established in 1974. 1976 sees the development and manufacture of hydrocrack basic oils, forming a further core competence for the future.
Production according to customer requirements
A new inline blending system allows the mixing of products according customer requirements. Now, an additional 200,000 t can be produced per year.
New research technology
Additional technical experimentation systems and a modern engine test bench are commissioned.
Creation of a Science and Technology Centre
This year sees the foundation of a Science and Technology Centre with approx. 350 employees, one of the leading scientific facilities for mineral oils anywhere in Europe.
The core tasks of the centre are the research, application and development of national and international methods for practical testing of lubricants, along with comprehensive instrumental analysis for quality assurance.
1951 - 1956
Expansion of capacities
The mineral oil factory concentrates solely on the development and manufacture of lubricants and, even in 1955, its 65,600 t covers the majority of the annual demand for lubricants in the GDR (150,000 t). In 1956, 3,600 people are employed and the capacity of the new lubricating oil factory is approx. 250,000 t/year.
In the meantime, the product range covers a considerable number of different products and product groups: Engine oils, compressor oils, machine distillates and raffinates, turbine oils, transformer oils, cable insulation oils, cable covering oils, axle oils, superheated steam cylinder oils, dark oils, hot roller oils.
Leading manufacturer of lubricants in the GDR
After foundation of the German Democratic Republic, Mineralölwerk Lützkendorf becomes a state-run company and the leading manufacturer of lubricants in the GDR. Two-stroke oils, required e.g. for the Trabant car, only make up a small proportion of production. Even then, the mineral oil factory produces engine and transmission oils according to internationally-valid specifications for cars "from the West".
1945 - 1948
Hard times and reconstruction
80% of the mineral oil factory are destroyed after bombing. Despite the heavy wartime damage, production recommences as early as the summer of 1945 at the command of the Soviet forces of occupation. Shortly after this, the first lubricants are delivered
1939 - 1943
Production records and in-house laboratory
A modern, trend-setting laboratory is installed in 1939 for research and development. 111,700 t of raw materials are processed in 1943. Lubricant production achieves record turnover levels of 6 million RM.
Krumpa, very close to our current location in the long-standing chemicals town of Leuna, sees foundation work begin for the former Mineralölwerk Lützkendorf.
A factory for fuels and lubricants is created with planned production capacities of 75,000 t of fuels and 50,000 t of lubricants. The majority of the raw materials required for production are obtained from coal through the synthesis method (coal liquefaction - Fischer-Tropsch Synthesis).